The Greater Wigston

Historical Society

The unit was originally built as a hat and cap works for Rudd and Squires and Orson Wright. The building is two and a half storeys in height and stands on the west side of Canal Street between Healey Street and Garden Street.
Now known as the Bobbin Factory the building is three storey of brick construction under a hipped slate roof. The façade is made up of corbelled brick eaves, timber framed windows with semi- circular arched heads and semi circular headed entrance doors.
Significant Buildings Of South Wigston 2
HOVER MOUSE OVER THE PICTURE OF THE PROPERTY TO SEE A LARGER IMAGE
A substantial two storey structure of brick construction in Gault facings with red brick to quoins, windows and door jambs, under a pitched slate roof. Orson Wright built the property along with his attached house circa 1885.
The building was built during the initial development of the Victorian village during the late 1800’s; is two and a half storeys in height constructed of red brick under a part curved slated roof, with an architecturally curved stone lintel above the main entrance. The property has recently been refurbished and now contains 12 residential units.
The building is principally of brick construction with random granite base under a pitched slate roof. It was built as a water mill on the River Sence and has been used as a bakery before its conversion to residential in 1982.
41 AND 43 CANAL STREET, SOUTH WIGSTON
Current use – derelict factory unit Architect – built by Orson Wright
Built circa 1886



DE VAS ROUTLEDGE WORKS, CANAL STREET, SOUTH WIGSTON
Current use – community use Architect – Unknown
Built circa 1890




GRAND HOTEL, CANAL STREET, SOUTH WIGSTON
Current use - apartmentsl
Architect – Cecil Ogden, built by Orson Wright Built circa 1885


STAMFORD SHOE WORKS, CANAL STREET, SOUTH WIGSTON
Current use – former factory now converted to apartments Architect – unknown, built by Orson Wright
Built circa 1890





CROW MILL, COUNTESTHORPE ROAD, SOUTH WIGSTON
Current use – former mill now in residential use Architect – unknown
Possibly of 12th Century origin




The property was built by Orson Wright, the founder of South Wigston, for his sister. It is constructed of local red brick to a two-storey dwelling under a pitched slate roof. Towards the north façade, the building narrows in width and is presented to the junction of Countesthorpe Road and Orange Street. Has been awarded a Blue Plaque.
2 ORANGE STREET, SOUTH WIGSTON
Current use – retail unit Architect – unknown
Built in 1883



The building is one of two lodges at the driveway entrance to ‘The Grange’ at Saffron Road; brick built under a slate roof.
THE COTTAGE, SAFFRON ROAD, SOUTH WIGSTON
Current use – residential Architect – unknown
Built circa 1857



The property is one of the two lodges that stand at the former entrance gateway to ‘The Grange’. Although more than likely built at a similar time, this lodge has detailing varying from that of the other lodge. It is brick built under a slate roof.
NORTH LODGE, SAFFRON ROAD, SOUTH WIGSTON
Current use – residential Architect – unknown
Built circa 1857







Since 13
December
2017
The former Quarter Masters Quarters formed part of the larger Glen Parva Barracks home to The Royal Leicestershire Regiment. The two-storey structure is constructed of red brick with blue brick strings. The building has three prominent brick chimney stacks at roof level.
The building is of two storeys in height with Gault brick facings, red brick dressings, under a pitched slate roof. The building has recently under gone refurbishment and has been converted to residential accommodation. The development stands at right angles to the east side of Station Street with extensive yard access. Has been awarded a Blue Plaque.
WH BATES HOSIERY FACTORY, STATION STREET, SOUTH WIGSTON
Current use – residential Architect – built by Orson Wright Built circa 1890








FORMER QUARTER MASTERS QUARTERS, TIGERS ROAD, SOUTH WIGSTON
Current use – communal facility Architect – unknown
Built between 1877 and 1880







The two storey building is of red brick construction with blue brick strings under a pitched slate roof. The building has three distinct gables; a brick built gabled entrance porch and a hexagonal single storey hall.
The two storey building is of red brick construction with blue brick strings under a pitched slate roof. The building has distinctively low roof pitch with a number of brick chimney stacks, along with tall segmental arched windows.
TAVRA TRAINING HALL, TIGERS ROAD, SOUTH WIGSTON (
Current use – Army training head quarters Architect – unknown
Built between 1877 and 1880







FORMER REGIMENTAL HOSPITAL, TIGERS ROAD, SOUTH WIGSTON
Current use – Army training head quarters Architect – unknown
Built between 1877 and 1880








web counter
web counter